Friday, March 26, 2004

I just checked out Sam Raimi's funny, freaky "Evil Dead" Trilogy for the first time. I never understood the cult following that Bruce Campbell enjoys until now. Sure, I found him mildly amusing in some of the TV shows and crappy movies he appeared in, but I didn't "get" why people were so affectionately devoted to him. Now I think I get it. With his good looks, over-the-top delivery and ability to mug shamelessly, he is that rarest of things: A likeable movie star (albeit a B-movie star) who really doesn't take himself seriously. He is the prototype of the rubber-faced celuloid buffoon, and he was doing Jim Carey's schtick before anyone had ever Jim Carey. The scene in Evil Dead II were he attacks his own possessed hand with a chainsaw, a geyser of blood spraying up into his maniacal visage... unbelievable. If you haven't seen this masterpiece yet, drop your nachos, run down to your local video store, and pick it up... Hell, pick all three of these sick creations up right now! Campbell probably owes a great deal of his popularity to his childhood friend Raimi, who cast him as the lead in the Evil Dead movies. I've always been impressed with Sam Raimi's work since I first heard Liam Neeson bellow "Kiss your ass goodbye!" in Darkman. But when I first heard he had gotten the Spiderman movie a couple of years ago, I was skeptical, to say the least. $400 million later, the naysayers have been proven wrong, and with Spiderman II coming out this summer, I'm looking forward to Raimi's imagining of the Spidey/Doc Ock showdown... and hopefully, another cameo (he was the wrestling promoter in the first Spiderman) for my new favourite mediocre actor. Bruce Campbell. Can't wait to see Bubba Ho-Tep!

No comments: