Sunday, May 23, 2004

The hostel sucks, I nearly died trying to get there, but I´m in Barcelona!

Yesterday morning, I grabbed a quick cafe con leche and a smoke (yeah yeah, I´ll quit when I get back!), hit the train station to buy my train ticket to Madrid, and jumped on the metro to get to hostel I had booked for Saturday and Sunday. A few minutes later, I was staring at the big statue of Columbus at the foot of La Rambla. Great! That was easy...now I know my hostel is around here somewhere... 45 sweat-soaked minutes later, I dragged my bloated pack up the stairs of hostel Abba - the place is a hole. I knew it would be, it has a 51% rating on hostels.com, but everywhere else was booked. The dorm is a biohazard (thank God for hostel sheets) and I wouldn´t bathe swine in the showers, but it is a roof over my head while I am in this city.

The place was deserted, so I got out of there as quickly as I could and headed off to do some sightseeing all on my lonesome. I walked up La Rambla, and headed up to check out some Gaudi-designed buildings before grabbing some gazpacho and chorizo and huevos for lunch at a nice little spot away from the tourists. It was dirt cheap and on TV, they had the royal wedding of Felipe and Leticia, his hot TV host princess. Later, I checked out the Cathedral and the Bari Gotic (not Bario Gotico... this is Catalunya, thank you very much). Eventually, I faced the inevitable and headed back to the hostel. After chatting a bit with some fellow travellers, three american guys and Turkish girl and I headed out for an evening on the town...

A night out in Barcelona!....

No comments: