Friday, May 14, 2004

How does one describe Pompei? It is as if the ancient Romans had departed the bay of Naples in the last couple of years for some mysterious reason and their city had fallen into disrepair... like those abandoned bungalows you sometimes see in rough parts of the city. It is like you are looking at homes that were abandoned 20 years ago... not buried 2000 years ago. The frescoes, stonework, fountains, courtyards... all immaculately preserved, all fresh, alive. It is also immense... acres and acres of buildings preserved beneath the volcanic ash of vesuvius. The echoes of a vibrant city, a city with personality, is what you find there. Not sterile monuments dedicated to a god-emperor, but little touches of domestic life, the life of the ordinary Roman. The grisly plaster casts of the dead of pompei show that death came swiftly to many that dwelt in that city, and their anguished grimaces and contorted limbs show us that their last moments were painful and terrifying. I shuddered more than once.

Now, I am in Florence. Unbearably gorgeous city... My mom's favourite, I seem to recall. I had to rush from the bus to the hostel to the trainstation to make the Naples-Rome-Florence connection, but it was worth it. In just half a day, I travelled up half the italian peninsula. On the train up, I met a nice young american couple who gave me some tips on what to see in Florence.. we also discussed world events. On this trip, I have yet to meet a single American who supports Bush.. and yet the polls tell us that the race is still fairly close... granted, I have met mostly left and right coasters, rather than folks from the heartland... I arrived late last night and, in spite of my foolish choice not to book ahead, I managed to find a room at a little Pensione just a few steps from the Train station and the City Centre. Today, I am going to take it easy. After the hustle and bustle of the Capital, it will be nice to just go slow for a day or two, and savour the sights and sounds... after all, I am on vacation!

No comments: