Monday, June 21, 2004

Something was eating at me as I read Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it... I had read the reviews and heard the raves, but somehow, the book just didn't do it for me.

The other day, I was looking up some articles on this controversial work of fiction and it all came together. The reason I didn't like The Da Vinci Code was because, as articles like this one and this one and this one point out, it tries to pass off conjecture as fact. It rewrites early Christian history so comprehensively, that anyone with a passing knowledge of the beginnings of this religion is left shaking their head. Read the aforementioned articles if you don't believe me...

This book didn't so much disappoint me as a reader as offend me as a history lover. I highly recommend this book to everyone and encourage them to read it and enjoy picking out the factual errors...and believe me, there are a lot of 'em.

No comments: